Fireman’s Fiasco Salad Dressing
This spicy combo will light up your taste buds while it Supercharges your metabolic rate.
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) cold pressed olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) apple cider or rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) raw honey
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) fresh lime juice
- 4 tablespoon (60 ml) shallots, chopped
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) fresh ginger, chopped
- 4 fresh hot chilies, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) sun-dried tomatoes, soaked if they need softening
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) miso paste · 1/2 teaspoon (3ml) ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons (12 ml) sea salt
Place all ingredients in a high speed blender in the order listed and mix until well blended.
You will probably have extra dressing for your next salad; it’s nice to have ready-made dressing and it will keep for days in the fridge.
Replace any greens or herbs for those listed. Thai basil with parsley for added pizzazz.
Raw pumpkin for carrots. Cucumber or jicama. Soaked and drained raisins for honey.
Avocado Kale Pesto Sweet Potato Ribbons
- 2 large or 3 smaller sweet potatoes (either orange or purple sweet potatoes provide contrast with the green pesto)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cold pressed olive oil
- 2 tablespoon (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) pumpkin seeds, soaked
- 3 cups (720 mL) kale, loosely packed, with stems removed and leaves chopped
- 1 cup (240 mL) fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup (240 mL) cherry tomatoes sliced
Using a spiralizer, mandolin or common peeler, makes the sweet potatoes into ribbons.
Start your food processor running and drop in garlic, one at a time. Add olive oil and lemon juice, then avocado, nutritional yeast, and pumpkin seeds.
Add the kale and basil, processing until the greens are well blended. Season to taste with sea salt.
In a large bowl, toss sweet potato ribbons with pesto. Garnish with cherry tomatoes and extra pumpkin seeds.
Carrots or zucchini can replace sweet potato. Spinach or chard are good substitutions for kale. Parsley can stand in for basil. You can use fresh lime juice instead of lemon. Pine nuts or walnuts can substitute for pumpkin seeds
The Living Food Lab is a healthy teaching-café with hand crafted salads, a granola station, juice and elixir bar, tasty vegan entrees and beautiful sweet treats!
We are in a quiet, secret garden in the heart of Ubud just 75m from the Monkey Forest and tucked behind Hubud. We also have a location at the Green School, Sebang Kaja.